Sunday, October 7, 2012

Authentic Experiences

I am always in search for authentic expe-riences when on holiday. Of course I do the touristy stuff, relax in comfort when the opportunity presents itself, shop, you know the drill, but the memorable experiences are the ones that are truly authentic, the ones that reflect the makeup of the country that one visits.

Sometimes it could be a chance encounter with the locals over a meal. A retail experience with talented artisans. A visit to a monument of historical and cultural significance. And the cuisine of a country of course.

When it comes to food, I like to experience the entire spectrum if time permits. I enjoy fine dining. I equally enjoy squatting on a pavement sampling street food. The middle ground too. If I had to pick however, hawker fare wins hands down. As they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.


Trying Vietnamese dessert from a street vendor in Hoi An.

No comments:

Post a Comment