Thursday, June 9, 2011

Seoul

Seoul had never been on my list of places to visit. However, I chose it as the go to place as a surprise for my Mum, a birthday present so to speak. A fanatic fan of Korean dramas, I thought it apt that a trip to Seoul would be something that she'd very much look forward to.

As it turned out, Mum had a wonderful time as I had expected, more surprising was the fact that Seoul has really grown on me. A pleasant surprise. I'd make a return trip any time. The juxtaposition of old and new, tradition and modernity, sedate and energetic, East and West, all make for an intriguing experience. The friendliness of the Korean people in particular made an impression. There is a relatively large Korean community in the vicinity of where I work here in Kuala Lumpur, but they've never seemed approachable. So to have them offer directions and advice whilst visiting their capital city came across as welcome and pleasant encounters.

Lots to see, good food and great shopping are a given, cosy restaurants and little tea rooms are a highlight too. It's not cheap, neither is it beyond my means. I don't stinge when on holiday. Whatever I've budgeted, I spend, be it on food, transportation and quintessential Korean experiences, so much so that I even found time to savour tea at four tea rooms, some traditional, some more contemporary, each with its own unique character, in the short few days I was there. So thanks for the positive vibes Seoul. I'll definitely re-visit at some point.


Having tea in Insadong, Seoul, Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment