Sunday, October 16, 2011

Village Life

When in Nepal, I had a chance to visit two villages and stay in another two. The first two were in the Kathmandu Valley - Bungamati and Khokona. We toured both these Newari villages one afternoon with our guide Prem and had a chance to witness the rural Nepali way of life. The latter - Choukibhanjyang and Chisapani - were two stops during our three-day trek. We stayed a night each at these mountain villages, a truly authentic and eye-opening experience indeed.

Rural life in Nepal has made me more appreciative of the lifestyle I lead. Whilst I always try to be grateful of the comforts I enjoy, first hand experience of a more rural nature makes one even more acutely aware of how lucky some of us are. The mod-cons we so often take for granted are luxuries that are beyond the means of many a Nepali.

We complain of traffic during the balik kampung rush. Some of the Nepalis have to walk for days to get home for festive celebrations. Just one of the many comparisons that came to mind during my recent holiday.


Photo of women having a chat in Khokona, Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment