Saturday, April 7, 2012

Initiative

Initiative is something that I have become accustomed to. I take the initiative, whether for work or if it revolves around my personal life.

The good thing about taking the initiative is that one is in control to a certain extent. I know what I want to achieve and I go for it. Fair and good when one is in full control, where the resultant outcome of one's actions solely depends on the latter. It becomes a bit more tricky when there are other individuals involved, be it co-workers, friends, family members, a loved one, whose actions, inaction or lackadaisical response contribute partly to the outcome. As some of my friends would say, here is where one has to be patient. There are some areas of life that are beyond one's control. It's best to do what is necessary, to the best of one's ability, and then leave the rest to unfold, whether favourably or otherwise.

Patience has never been one of my better virtues. And being somewhat of a control-freak at times, alright I concede, most of the time, makes me easily frustrated when desired outcomes take too long to manifest. This is one aspect of my life that is a constant struggle, and one that needs constant improvement. I understand it rationally, but putting the good into practice can be difficult emotionally. Fortunately, I have good friends who know me well. I accept it graciously when they tell me off, when they give me a lecture when I exhibit signs of being unreasonable or insecure, when I gripe one too many a time. I appreciate their concern, their words of advice, their kind intentions. I listen and I try to improve. And occasionally, I succeed in feeling better and more upbeat. The challenge now really, is to get from occasionally to often.


Relaxing by the pool at Evason Hua Hin in Thailand.

1 comment:

  1. Good Lord, you are not using a tanning lotion are you?? Sheesh, and here i spend all my days cutting out skin cancers and telling people to be careful in the sun.

    ReplyDelete