Sunday, April 28, 2013

Felix and Ting

When my good friend Felix whatsapp-ed from Taipei last month asking me if I would be available on 26 April, my immediate reaction was 'You are getting married!'. I was right. Despite the short notice, I was determined to attend. I first met Felix when we were both students in Switzerland years ago, I was working a winter season in Leysin and Felix was attending a hotel school there. We would often cook up a storm at my staff living quarters, both of us craving for some Asian food, he Hong Kong cuisine and me a taste of Malaysian dishes. We've kept in touch over the years, and would make it a point to catch up over a meal or two whenever he came to KL or when I was in Hong Kong.
 
I was happy to be invited to the wedding and I thought either Hong Kong or Taipei is just a short flight away. A few more messages later and I was advised that the wedding would be in Guam. I am always game to head to a new destination, but work commitments and flight schedules were a challenge, no matter how enticing the exotic images of Guam were. Once I told Felix that I would do my best to be there, I was determined to keep my word. With no direct flights from KL, I relied on the services of a travel agent who I must say was extremely patient with me. I kept demanding for various route options, trying to strike a three-way balance between work commitments, getting there on time as well as cost. It took a whole two weeks before we agreed on a route that would take me from KL to Singapore, then on to Tokyo before finally arriving in Guam. A trip that would be 22 hours to get there and 26 hours to get back.
 
The verdict? Totally worthwhile. To be present at a good friend's wedding, a milestone in his life, is an experience that we will both share for the rest of our lives. Spending time with the newlyweds and their immediate family for a couple of days will strengthen the bonds that we have already nurtured, and I hope that our friendship will continue to hold strong in the years to come. Once again, congratulations Felix and Ting and may you enjoy everlasting happiness. It was an honour and a pleasure being invited.
 
 
The newlyweds emerging from Aqua Stella Chapel at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, Guam.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!

    ReplyDelete