Friday, May 31, 2013

Greener Pastures

I was having lunch with a friend of mine today, and a part of our conversation led us to ponder how one ought to react when let down by a supposed friend or business associate, in this case, the latter. The unlucky among us would have encountered this scenario at one time or another, and I suppose we all react differently.
 
I have had my fair share of such experiences. What I learnt from today's conversation is that my friend is far more gracious than I am. I tend not to want to have anything to do with the offending party ever again; I don't forgive easily and I definitely don't forget. I believe that once the trust is betrayed, it is irreparable. And whilst I will lament the loss of a friendship or business relationship, I will get over it quickly. I will be cordial if our paths cross again, but there certainly will be no small talk to catch up. For me, the adage 'good riddance to bad rubbish' holds true in this instance. There are better friends to be made, and better working relationships to foster.
 
To my friend who is facing the unpleasantness of such a situation at this time, I would say do what you feel is right for you, do what you think will keep your dignity intact. At the end of the day, we have to live with the consequences of our actions and reactions. And if we have done what to us feels right, then we move on to greener pastures indeed.
 
 
Beautiful view from Two Lovers Point in Guam.

No comments:

Post a Comment