Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Joys And Perils Of Entrepreneurship

A friend of mine called today on the pretext of discussing some work she was doing for me. We've been friends for the better part of 20 years but busy careers and complacency have stagnated our friendship for quite some time now.

Anyways, with both of us having our own businesses to run, the conversation soon drifted to the topic of whether being our own boss was really such a good thing or otherwise. I suppose how I ended my previous post describes me best. I embrace the good and take all the rest in stride. So for the most part since 2000, I've had an enjoyable and fulfilling journey as an entrepreneur. The most important thing I've learnt? Money isn't everything. Truth be told, if I had stayed on in my advertising job, I would probably be earning much more than I am doing now. But what I appreciate, cherish even, is the sense of free-spiritedness, only taking on ventures that I have a passion for, and the immense self-satisfaction that I derive from a job well done.

Although an optimist by nature, like everyone else, I have my doubts from time to time. Fortunately, I tend to view obstacles as challenges to conquer and seem to thrive under stress, don't ask me why. To my friend who may be having her own doubts, I would say, 'Continue plodding. If things look bleak at the moment, then it can only get better. You've come too far to turn back and that little hill ahead isn't too difficult to climb'.

As for me, when the stress gets a little too much to bear ... well, have a look again at the photo on top haha!


Photo of pool in Villa Langka, Phnom Penh.

No comments:

Post a Comment