Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Simple Things In Life

Tuesday, 30 June 2009, was the 5th anniversary of my paternal grandma's passing. As in previous years, the entire family gathered for a meal at the family home to celebrate her life and to remember her. The Wong family is known to be avid eaters and we have a party whenever an opportunity arises. A further boon is the fact that we have great cooks in the family, a legacy left behind by both my grandparents. We are therefore always spoilt for choice when it comes to dinner parties, from the most fancy of dishes to the simplest home cooking that equally satisfy our voracious appetites. And it is sometimes the latter that is most enjoyable. For many, it was the 'Curry Chicken eaten with Bread' that stood out. Unpretentious and lip-smackin' good, though a bit too fiery for me, I guess it also brought back memories for my parents, aunts and uncles, who now often reminisce about 'those good ol' days'.

Indeed, the simple things in life sometimes bring us the most joy. I have a friend who spends quality time by himself every Sunday morning with a coffee, a doughnut and a good book. Another, rides a bus round Penang every weekend with his toddler daughter. For me, all I need is a travel magazine and either a pool or a beach.

In our harried lives, we often fail to slow down and smell the roses. Perhaps it's time to start doing so, one step at a time. Teh tarik anyone?


Auntie Mary's Curry Chicken.

1 comment:

  1. KW

    For him riding a bus really is enjoyable. Not many people will do it. hahahaha

    Sally

    ReplyDelete