Sunday, January 16, 2011

Whirlwind Visit

My cousins from Hong Kong, Faiman and Roy as well as the latter's girlfriend Ming, together with some of my aunts and uncles, came to KL for a whirlwind visit. I first met my cousins as adults in May last year when I went there on holiday; prior to that was decades ago when we were young children.

We've been keeping in touch on Facebook since May and though their visit here was only for a couple of days, I had a good time getting to know them better. In fact, I had a blast really. My late father always made sure he made time for family, be it immediate or extended. I do the same, as do my mum and sis. Playing tourist guide and the requisite 'makan' sessions Malaysians are so famous for aside, I believe creating personal connections and building rapport take on far greater importance. Am happy to say that we clicked somewhat and I look forward to nurturing the nascent bonds that we have now established.

Coming from a relatively large extended family, getting along is something we all have to work on from time to time. It takes effort and much diplomacy. Fortunately we have strong ties, well most of us anyways. The past few days have been extremely enjoyable. So much laughter, so much food, so much chatter. Great times indeed!



Photo of Faiman, Roy, Ming and I having lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment