Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dad's Passing, One Year On

Today marks the first anniversary of my dad's passing. He succumbed to the side effects of chemo-therapy rather abruptly a year ago and whilst we were grateful that he did not suffer for too long, his sudden passing nevertheless left a void in our lives.

Today we celebrate the life that my dad lived. He was loyal - to family, friends and employer. All his life, my dad only worked for one employer, and he rose from an office boy to the position of CEO in more than 4 decades of service. Family and close friends came second to none. He was compassionate and kind, always putting others first, always considering the plight of the less fortunate. He enjoyed life - a good drink at the Batek Bar, good food with his close circle of friends. He loved unconditionally - my mum, Suk Harn and I. Always supportive was my father in my decisions in life, whether he fully agreed with the paths I have taken or otherwise.

Today, my extended family gathers to remember my father. I think of him often. I think of the good he has done and the good I hope to do. I place importance on family ties as he always did. I live my life the way I see fit as he once told me to do. My dad was a man of few words but his actions were that of a man with character. We miss him. We think of him often. We cherish the great times we had. We honour him by living the good life. Here's to you dad.


Photo of my father on a horse drawn carriage in Jogjakarta, Indonesia, January 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Fond memories are the greatest gift one can receive.. Keep them well. Love, bunny

    ReplyDelete