Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Remembering Dad

'If you know someone who fought cancer and won, or fought cancer and died, or someone who is still fighting, please add this to your status for 1 hour as a mark of respect and remembrance'. This request was asked of those who are on Facebook. I did my part.

It's been 20 months since Dad passed away from complications brought on by chemotherapy. I remember the doctor visits I accompanied my father to, the chemotheraphy sessions. It is indeed an illness that affects the entire family, not just the patient. Much perseverance and a strong will are required of the patient, much patience and strength are required of the patient's support group. Sometimes circumstances turn out good, other times not. Dad's fight lasted only 5 months from diagnosis. He was in fact responding well to the drugs as the tumours were shrinking, it was the side effects of the treatment that caused him to succumb.

Time heals and we have moved on with our lives. We think of Dad often, I do almost every day. When I encounter an amusing situation, I would chuckle at what his response would have been. When the extended family gathers for a celebration, I remember his commitment to family ties. I try to have his compassion but I do not always succeed. I say hello to his friends whenever I run into them; I made it a point to have lunch with his good friend and colleague when I was in Bangkok recently. And when I feel a bit discouraged, I remember his words 'It is your life to live, live it as you deem fit.'

Here is an inspiring story.


Photo shot at Prambanan in Jogjakarta on our second last holiday together.

1 comment:

  1. you articulated everything I felt about my late Dad too. Importantly, memories never die.

    ReplyDelete