Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chinese New Year Eve

Chinese New Year Eve is all about the reunion dinner. Many travel far and wide to head home for this time of communion with family. It is the time of year where relationships are renewed, bonds strengthened. The significance of the reunion dinner has been inculcated in me since childhood and I've never missed one all my life.

My grandparents, when they were alive, would cook up a storm. Nowadays, we observe a 'pot luck' tradition. Still, the food is good, all eight dishes and charcoal-boiled soup.

In fact, I got to attend two reunion dinners this year. One, for my mother's side of the family on Saturday evening, the other for my paternal extended family on Sunday night, the former at a Chinese restaurant, the latter a home cooked meal. The best of both worlds really. My Mum, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, the important people in my life.


Photo of dishes served at the reunion dinner for my Dad's side of the family on Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment