Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dad's Old Time Favourite

Sek Yuen was one of my father's favourite restaurants. I think it is fair to say he visited very often, enjoying almost weekly lunches or dinners with his good friends. He always used to tell us about how good and authentic the food was; for him it was an institution. I never went all those years. I seldom even ventured to Pudu where the restaurant has been located for more than half a century I believe.

Ventured there I did a few days ago. My friend Han San had organised a Chinese New Year feast for a few of us and I finally found my way to Sek Yuen, courtesy of a hand-sketched map that my mother had equipped me with. Suffice to say, my Dad's great praise of the food was not unfounded. The retro setting was a highlight in itself, the restaurant seemingly stuck in a time warp.

Our exclamations of delight at the dishes served probably echoed those of my father and his friends. Such old time favourites, signature dishes that were and still are held in high regard, have survived the times and elevate the gastronomic experience, particularly for first-timers like me. After seven courses, we left satiated and happy, promising to return in the not too distant future.

The famous waxed meat rice served at Sek Yuen during Chinese New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment