Friday, June 1, 2012

Nothing Good Comes Easy

Sometimes we encounter perplexing situations which seem difficult to comprehend. A friend recently posted on her Facebook profile 'Why ah? I wonder what happened?' and we ended up commenting on how difficult it can be to understand a sudden change of events that we didn't see coming. Human nature will have us try to rationalise the situation but sometimes it is best to just let it go and move on.

I was also having a conversation with an uncle of mine, well an uncle by rank, but more of a contemporary in age, a while ago. Our chat led to a discussion on how we ought to look for a silver lining in every lousy circumstance that we find ourselves in. 'Everything happens for a reason', he said, 'we just need to find the reason'. What I took away from this conversation is that we must keep the faith, no matter how jaded we may be.

Whenever I myself am in a state of confusion, my friends will always tell me to forget about it, move on. Better things are to come. But I am stubborn. I always want to get to the root of the problem, the ripple that led to my being dumbfounded. I also don't give up easily. I am often of the belief that bad situations can be remedied if we try hard enough, and that nothing good comes easy. Only after doing my best but to no avail will I concede defeat. And when I find myself resigning to the fact that even my best was not enough, only then will I entertain the idea of throwing in the towel. And then my uncle's words will ring true, everything happens for a reason, and a silver lining I shall look out for in time to come.


Beautiful setting at Evason Hua Hin in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment