Monday, November 19, 2012

Erawan Shrine

When in Bangkok, I always make it a point to worship at the Erawan Shrine. This time was no different except that I was even more conscientious. I prayed at the shrine every day. I have aspirations to fulfill and I place my faith in the divine. I also have much to give thanks for. Gratitude and appreciation I believe will lead to even better experiences in future.

I normally stay at the Holiday Inn Bangkok, which is practically a stone's throw away from the shrine. OK, I exaggerate. It is a pleasant short stroll away. The shrine is perpetually packed, so I try to go either early in the morning or later at night to avoid jostling with the crowd. But still, some jostling is required no matter what time of day. A lit candle, twelve joss sticks, floral garlands and prayers to the four-faced Buddha leave me with a sense of hope.

To have faith and to believe. To trust and to surrender to what fate has in store. Ask and one shall receive. And when aspirations are met, give thanks. Say a little prayer indeed.


Crowds at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment