Sunday, July 7, 2013

Catch Up In Bangkok

My late father was employed at the same company all his life. Starting out as an office boy after Form 5, he left as the CEO of Bangkok Bank Kuala Lumpur after 41 years of service. That I believe is the epitome of loyalty and commitment. Through-out the years, we met many of his Thai colleagues who were posted to Kuala Lumpur. Of the many, we've only kept in touch with Khun Chatjai who was here during the last few years of dad's tenure at the bank. Now retired and back in Bangkok, we try to catch up whenever we are on holiday there.
 
I last had lunch with Khun Chatjai 2 years ago, with my sister to be exact, when we were in Bangkok celebrating my cousin Siew Yoong's birthday. This time round, a couple of weeks back actually, Mum and I met up with Khun Chatjai and his wife, Auntie Polly, over afternoon tea. Mum hadn't seen them in many years and it was a somewhat emotional yet happy meeting.
 
Keeping in contact with my dad's friends is a way of remembering him. We reminisce about our time spent together but most importantly catch up on the latest and what the future may hold. Such meetings, though short, remind us of the value of friendship and the necessary effort to nurture and maintain such bonds.
 
 
With Khun Chatjai, Auntie Polly, Mum and my dad's sisters, Aunties Anne and Mary at Dean & Deluca in Bangkok, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment