Monday, December 22, 2014

Winter Solstice Festival 2014

This year's Winter Solstice is extra special as I had the oppor-tunity to be part of four celebra-tions. The first was hosted by my friend Dennis early December. The second and third were with extended family last evening. And tonight, I enjoyed a quiet dinner with Mum and my sister Suk Harn.
 
My father instilled in me the importance of celebrating festivals with family and for many of Chinese descent, the Winter Solstice is one of the most important festivals that ought to bring families together for a meal.
 
Although my extended family have in recent years taken to eating out at restaurants on Chinese New Year eve, we have maintained the tradition of sharing a home-cooked meal every December during the Winter Solstice. My late grandparents used to cook the entire meal, but nowadays it tends to be a potluck. Nevertheless, the opportunity to come together for a nice dinner is what matters most.
 
 
Home-cooked dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment