Monday, January 25, 2010

Eulogy To Dad

A tribute to my dad at his funeral ...

On behalf of my mum, Suk Harn and I, many thanks for being here to pay your respects and say farewell to my dad. In life, my father was a simple man. I believe though sad at leaving us, he would want to say to all of us, be sad for a little while, think of me every now and then, continue living the good life and most importantly maintain and cherish family ties.

Human nature would sometimes have us search for answers. Could the treatments have been better, could he have fought harder, could we have encouraged him more? But at the end of the day, my father was a believer in karma. He had spoken on a number of occasions with my Uncle Chee Peng and I about the likelihood of his impending passing. He was accepting of what fate had in store.

So once again, thanks for the love, support, encouragement and thoughtfulness all this while and coming to send dad on his final journey - a loving and devoted husband, a father who loved unconditionally, someone who would say, it is your life to live, so live it as you deem fit, a loyal friend and a compassionate man.

We will miss you dad.

Here's an account of our sad yet joyful farewell to my dad from the perspective of my cousin Lynette.


13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about it..My condolence to u n your family, Kris. God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. grieve now, remember always and live life to the fullest

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest condolence to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a season for mourning and there is a season for rejoicing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes there is a silver lining in every circumstance Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dad will be safe with all the angels in heaven...take care yea...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comforting words Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A small plot of periwinkle (pink mini-propeller flowers) and old ladies' bonnets (assorted colours) caught my attention. Then I gasped, recalling the seedlings I gave you dad many years ago. As I walked around his garden, 2 other potted plants brought an instant smile to my face ... healthy, leafy basil proudly displaying their numerous floral sprigs. I could not resist taxing a whiff of my favourite herb before rushing over to tell Tony how well your dad's basil plants were doing. I silently thanked him for giving the seedlings which I gave him years ago, much tender loving care. My own supply of the herb now comes from the wet market! We went from pot to pot admiring your dad's labour of love, remembering how he enjoyed talking about his plants and green hobby. Over in our own little garden, the lady-of-the-night your dad gave us years ago has always been the centre of attention and conversation. The plant, more like trees now, frequently fill our home with the sweetest ever fragrance from their bunches of mini-trumpet blooms just like how memories of your dad fill our hearts the past few days. Yes, he will surely be in our thoughts. LaiLin

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is now up to us to keep the plants thriving Lai Lin, and the 3 of us ain't got the green fingers my dad had. I never watered the plants, seldom fed the fish. Now I find myself making the effort to keep the plants healthy. I suspect that our longtime gardener will soon be my new best friend. And by the way, you are most welcome to drop by for some basil anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's beautiful, Lai Lin! His memory lives on in so many different ways for all of us. There is so much we can do to honor his life!

    ReplyDelete