Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bali Triathlon 2011

I have always believed that if I put my mind to it, almost anything is possible. Case in point, the Bali Triathlon. What started as casual banter with my friend Eileen, an enthusiastic triathlete, ultimately turned out to be an extremely enjoyable and satisfying experience.

My team-mates, Richard (bike) and Lee Kuen (run), and I (swim) combined to race our first triathlon relay in Bali last Sunday, 26 June. Granted, we only participated in the sprint distance, it was an achievement nevertheless considering it was our first try and we did reasonably well, finishing in 16th place among all the teams taking part.

I had taken the effort to train for the past six months in the pool but no amount of training would prepare one fully for a swim in the sea. In fact, I only had one training swim in the sea the afternoon before race day but that allayed some of my concerns as the waters of Jimbaran Bay were relatively calm and not as cold as I had expected. I had a great time during the race per se. Apparently I came out of the water in 12th place, and we definitely swam more than the original distance as there were claims that the transition buoys shifted positions. What I didn't train for was the run on the beach from the water to the bike transition area. Although only 800m in distance, I struggled as I don't normally run, not even on the treadmill in the gym. I'll have to be better prepared next time. Yes, next time. We are already planning for our next race, so exciting and fun this experience was.


Photo of Richard, Eileen, yours truly and Lee Kuen shot by Shirley Hoo at Jimbaran Bay in Bali, Indonesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment