Thursday, July 21, 2011

Holidays

I often get asked how I manage to afford time off for regular holidays. Here's the deal. I still work while on holiday. I allocate at least 2 hours a day to answer emails, write and so forth. I am not one who likes to be deluged with work post holiday, so I would rather get some cleared while away. I am disciplined in that way.

Since beginning of June, I have been working for approximately 3 weeks followed by a week's holiday or thereabouts. Seoul done. Bali done. This cycle will run through beginning October and I am certainly looking forward to another 3 trips. The downside to all this is the intense work rate during the 3 work-weeks. Although I still have my off days, I do work half the time. I've noticed too that I am even more task-oriented and those working with me have had to roll up their sleeves and pull up their socks even more, so to speak. I am pretty sure they like the peace and quiet when I am away. They can then work on the list of tasks I leave them with peace of mind, without my constant scrutiny and demands, though I still keep in close touch via email.

Even though rather stressed at times, I ain't complaining, as I still manage to find time to swim at least 3 times a week, gym twice, read, network socially on the internet, coffee and dinner with family and friends, even a movie every now and then, plus 2 blocs of newsreading per week at RTM. Suffice to say, I have no time to waste. And there is always that upcoming holiday to look forward to. This I know for sure though, a 3-week-1-week cycle may be a tad ambitious. Well, come November, perhaps I'll have a re-think and see how a more reasonable cycle may be attained. In the meantime, it's full steam ahead.


Working in the coffee house of Ubud Inn in Bali, where I am joined by my friends Shirley and Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment