Saturday, November 27, 2010

Character

Two events that played out in the past few weeks have made me realise how important character is. Apart from integrity, class in character is also something to value. I suppose this subconsciously explains why I only have a small but close circle of friends.

If I were to think it through carefully, I guess I can categorise my close knit groups into those from boarding school and uni in Adelaide, from hotel school in Le Bouveret, a colleague from Genting, a couple from the advertising industry, some from the wedding business and a few personal friends, even a previous client or two. These are the people whom I can trust. To what extent I trust them varies of course, and they reciprocate in the reflective proportions. What I do know is that these are the ones who will stand by me and who will stand up for me. I would do the same for them. Such relationships are a blessing and I am grateful for them.

The aformentioned events basically left a somewhat bitter taste. I would just say this, when I treat people well, I expect to be treated in the same manner. When I offer someone respect, I expect respect in return. When we do a good job, a 'thank you' would be nice. As for the nasty ones, well, I don't tolerate them, and I certainly don't have time for nonsense. Most of all, for those who betray my trust, well, what is there to say except that I should have known better. And of course, there are new and better friends to be made. And by the way, you definitely need to trust those around you when a photo such as the one above is captured!


Photo shot in Bali by Janice Chan.

1 comment: