Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rut

We tend to get into a rut from time to time. This is more so especially when our lives revolve a routine. Work, eat, sleep, more work, the weekend; the cycle repeats itself over and over for the majority, myself included. Although I make it a point to have some leisure whenever I can during the work week, there always seems to be a pull to break out of the mundane and do more, things that nurture the spirit and feed the soul.

I have a variety of interests, as do so many of us. The perennial challenge is finding the time to throw ourselves into these interests. I envy many of our Western counterparts, those who seem to be able to leave everything behind for a couple of months to take on new challenges, to travel the world, to volunteer perhaps, to truly experience life in a different circumstance.

For me, the longest viable break I can take is probably ten days or thereabouts, and I do ensure these periods away from the routine happen, a couple of times a year at least. Human nature however always makes us want more. I am plotting to see if I can take a month off next year. It'll take lots of planning. Some of my friends think I won't succeed. That certainly remains to be seen.


Photo shot at Beach Republic in Koh Samui, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment