Wednesday, March 17, 2010

2nd Anniversary - Grandfather

Today is the 2nd anniversary of my grandfather, Ah Yei's passing. The extended family gathered at the family home in SEA Park and celebrated his life over dinner.

You see, my grandfather was a great cook. We would often get to savour an average of 8 to 10 dishes when we celebrated Chinese festivals, all lovingly prepared for the entire clan. Many years ago, back in 2001 I think, my sister, mum and I compiled a book of all the recipes we loved, many of which were my grandfather's, and gave them away as Christmas presents to those who loved to cook in my family. We still refer to this recipe book every now and then, more so when parties approach.

My grandfather was such an accomplished chef that my aunts and mum, themselves wonderful cooks, have not been able to reproduce some of his more complex dishes. We often reminisce about his cooking and how much joy it brought to us all, especially when we gather for 'makan'.


Photo of my paternal grandfather shot by my sister Suk Harn.

No comments:

Post a Comment