Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Evolve

I am in a unique position in the wedding industry. In my position as an editor of 3 wedding magazines and a wedding portal, I deal with industry vendors as my clients. As a designer with That Special Occasion, my clients are soon-to-be-brides. The former requires me to champion my industry colleagues whereas the latter necessitates that I look after the interests of the bride. I have to strike a balance which is not always easy.

The industry is always evolving. The expectations of couples vary, how vendors respond to these expectations change according to the circumstances. Suffice to say, the aim is to have a win-win situation for both parties. One thing is for certain though and that is, it is imperative that fellow industry colleagues support one another. Loyalty is earned. We may all run our businesses differently, we may have differing principles, but we should always stand up for each other. Only then can the industry progress.

Supporting one another means being open enough to accept the differences by which we run our businesses. One has to adapt to new business practices. One has to respect the artistry of the experienced, yet acknowledge the creative catalysts brought on by new entrants into the industry. In this day and age, one has to embrace technology more than ever, be willing to network and be confident enough to market oneself well. Truth be told, just relying on one's expertise is no longer sufficient. You either play along to market forces or be left behind. That's some food for thought I reckon.


Photo of gown by That Special Occasion, courtesy of Louis Pang Studio.

1 comment:

  1. If we do not evolve, we'll fossilize. There is no place for close minded practices. Anyone who does that will be left behind.

    ReplyDelete