Saturday, June 26, 2010

Expectations

A lot of my close friends seem to think that my expectations are too lofty. That's true to a certain extent. I am not one to settle. I want the best. Having said that, what constitutes the best is relative. The best doesn't mean staying at a luxurious hotel when on holiday. It means putting up in a hotel that is clean and comfortabe, one that has character, one that is more intimate, one that is conveniently located, one that has affable staff. It doesn't mean always eating at the most expensive restaurants. It means having a meal at a restaurant that serves food that one enjoys, in the company of good friends.

I apply the same principle in my work as well as in my personal life. I don't expect to be perfect in what I do for a living but I do strive to achieve it. To always put my best foot forward. To shun mediocrity. I don't settle for sub-par friendships and relationships. Sub-par friends are best relegated to acquaintances. Sub-par relationships are best left behind.

Having meaningful encounters and experiences in life are what we should always aspire to. A cup of hot chocolate while waiting to board a ferry on the Bosphorus; now, that is one experience which deserves to be termed as one of the best.


Photo shot at Anadolu Kavagi in Turkey.

1 comment: