Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas In Saigon

I wasn't particularly in the Christmas mood before leaving KL earlier in the week but am definitely in the spirit here in Saigon. The streets have been dressed up, the restaurants have been fully booked and the people have been coming out to celebrate.

I would say that witnessing the Saigonese come out onto the streets and celebrate with such gusto has been a highlight of my visit. Horns blaring, the chaos of people on motorcycles jostling with people on foot, the way they party with reckless abandon, is an experience not easily forgotten.

We had a seafood Christmas lunch at Ngoc Suong, recommended by Leticia and Tjun Hong, and then a Christmas dinner of Hue cuisine at Mitau, the professed choice of Eileen's and Richard's when in Saigon. I ended the evening with a hot cocoa at the rooftop bar of the Rex Hotel, enjoying the retro songs crooned by the resident band, backed by the sounds of horns as well as the hustle and bustle of the surrounding streets below. As I took a slow walk back to my hotel, I marveled at the colonial architecture of City Hall, beautifully lit up, a perfect backdrop for photos of both the locals and tourists alike. And I said a little thanks for the opportunity to be here at this time of year. Merry Christmas Ho Chi Minh City!


Photo shot at the lobby of the Rex Hotel in Saigon, Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment