Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Good Guest

A good guest is one who doesn't complain. Instead, he or she appreciates the effort put in by the host, and makes it a point to enjoy the food, the drinks, the atmosphere, the company. You've been invited to a party, so why complain when you can have a good time. It's all in the mindset if you ask me.

From a personal standpoint, the rule of thumb that I advocate is that if you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything. And if one is deserving of a compliment, then I offer words of appreciation and encouragement. As a guest, I often put myself in the shoes of the host. Wouldn't you want your guests to have a good time, wouldn't you want them to love the food you've prepared? If one sees it from this perspective, then one will be more likely than not, more appreciative.

And my golden rule? If the host has personally cooked a meal, I never ever ask for salt and pepper or any other condiments for that matter, if they are not offered to me. We ought to respect the chef's culinary skills, don't you think?


Photo of a sidewalk tea house near the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey.

2 comments:

  1. Try that at a Michelin starred restaurant and the chef might just come out and give you a piece of his or her mind!

    ReplyDelete