Saturday, July 25, 2009

Keeping Friendships Alive

2 decades is a pretty long time to be friends. We were a group of 3 at boarding school in Adelaide, which expanded to 6 when we got to university. If I were being totally objective, I would have to say that our bonds of friendship are not as strong as they were before. Career and family have gotten in the way; even our yearly birthday celebrations have not taken place this year. Still I'd like to think that our thoughts are with each other every now and then, and that we can rely on the group for support whenever such a need arises.

Well, keeping friendships alive is not an easy thing to do. Like any relationship, the effort must come from all parties. I am normally one who takes the initiative to keep in touch but I am also one who knows when it is no longer worth my time to do so. So, some seemingly good friendships that I had, have gone down the drain over the years whilst newer ones have taken on a life of their own. A new door opens when one is closed I suppose.

Whatever the case, our group of 6 celebrates our 20th anniversary this year, and we are going away together for a holiday in August, at least 4 of us are anyway. The other 2 have just started a new restaurant business and without my being judgmental, can't seem to find a way to get a few days off. Being positive is a trait that has served me well, and I am looking forward to this trip like so many others we have been on in the past - Kangaroo Island, Langkawi, the road trip to the East Coast - all these more than a decade ago. The prospect of re-igniting our friendships is indeed something worth considering, and who knows, KK may just be the place to do so.


Photo shot at Street 240 in Phnom Penh.

1 comment:

  1. I can emphatise with you. It happens to most people. At different milestones in our life we meet new people, and gradually forget about our old friends. Most of us don't realise that friendships need to be nurtured. It's hard work but yields rich dividends. We all have regrets in lapsed friendships.

    ReplyDelete