Thursday, July 23, 2009

Taking Time Out

I was just looking at some holiday photos in Phuket that Jason of Floralsense Creation put up on Facebook and it brought back not too distant memories of the trip that I took there with my colleagues in March earlier this year. We make it a point to go somewhere together every year; Bali last year, Siem Reap the year before, Penang before that and our very first company trip to Haadyai prior to that. Trips such as these are not easy to plan as there are various personalities and characters to cater to, not to mention the diverse interests that each one has. Nevertheless, they are always worthwhile as it offers an opportunity for us to bond and let our hair down after a year's worth of ranting, usually by me!

But getting back to my point about Jason's photos and Ke Wynn of Whizarts' comment about him needing a holiday, I am a firm believer of taking time out every once in a while ... heck we deserve it! Folks outside our industry tend to think that what we do for a living must be a blissful occupation to be in. That couldn't be further from the truth, as most of my friends in the wedding circle will attest to. We face the same pressures, challenges, frustrations, difficult clients, just like in any other service industry. But along with it also come the good things that make our work so enjoyable. I try not to take for granted the pleasant experiences and the decent people that I come into contact with, and this disposition is what keeps me motivated.

As for holidays, whether it is a 2-week sojourn or a weekend getaway, it pays to be appreciative of such jaunts. We often come back revitalised and reinvigorated, ready to tackle the next wedding. And when we do a good job, well, there's money for more trips to come then! I, on my part, am very much looking forward to 2 trips in August ... but more on that in my next post ........


Photo entitled 'Calm Waters' shot by my sister Suk Harn at Puget Sound, Seattle.

1 comment: