Friday, July 3, 2009

A Team Effort

I often get asked, 'How do you oversee so many ventures and projects at once?' And the simple truth is that I have a great team of people, at weddingsmalaysia, That Special Occasion as well as The Wedding Hub. Granted, I can at times be difficult to work with, been branded a dictator, micromanager, an obsessive and compulsive workaholic, I'd like to think that on the whole, I'm still pretty much a team player. My business partner, Anna, who's taken some time off to be in Hong Kong with her expat hubby and daughter, has always maintained that I am an expert at barking instructions. I am sure my colleagues at That Special Occasion miss her calming influence when I get ranting. Louisa, my co-designer, now that Anna is on sabbatical, together with Linda, our longtime assistant as well as the team of seamstresses and beaders, bear the brunt of the relentless pace, and are the pillars that support the operations at the boutique. Meanwhile over at The Wedding Hub, Helen is the 'rock' I rely on to manage the one-stop centre as well as the array of personalities we have as tenants, whilst Fiona is the one who diligently churns out our monthly workshops.

On the publising front, both online and print, I am lucky to have a small and dedicated team. My team of 8 at weddingsmalaysia - Edward, Kenix, Patrick, Priscilla, Keith, Eileen, Cordelia and Faridah -take care of a portal and 4 publications, a relatively big task actually, considering that all of them have other business interests and only take on the portal and publications on a project basis. It is their passion and commitment that have made our titles so well-regarded in the wedding industry. I also appreciate the efforts of Integricity, who ensure that our back-end IT needs are well taken care of, and of course the encouragement and support of the industry, who are catalysts for us to do even better.

I truly believe that no one can work in isolation. Despite the occasional tiff, working together towards and attaining a common goal is what makes it all worthwhile. And did I say I was quite the workaholic ... as evidenced by the time of this post haha!

Oh! How could I forget Ms Chew ... the one who reminds me to keep an eye on the dollars and cents!!


Pictured with Louisa and her gown creation.

1 comment: