Sunday, February 7, 2010

Childhood Saturdays

I very recently went back to Bangkok Bank after not having visited for more than a decade. I went with my mum to sort out some of her personal matters following my dad's passing.

I remember it being a stopover as we went about our Saturdays when I was a kid. My father's one and only job throughout his life was with Bangkok Bank. He started out as an office boy and rose through the ranks to become the CEO of the Kuala Lumpur branch during 4 decades of service.

My mum, sister and I would often go down town on Saturdays - have brunch at one of the coffeeshops, hit Petaling Street for some shopping and later meet up with my dad. One of the coffeeshops was Lai Foong. When I visited last week, some of the hawker stalls that I loved had closed but the Milo was just as good as I recalled. These old haunts bring back good memories and though some may have undergone changes, they still bring a smile to my face when the opportunity to re-visit arises.


Photo of a cup of Milo at Lai Foong in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

5 comments:

  1. That's really amazing and admirable about your dad.

    I love the "tarn tarts" at Lai Foong. And the beef noodles. (drool ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you poured your milo onto the saucer to cool it down, then proceeded to sip from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am too sophisticated to do that now WK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw the cup with the milo in the saucer and put 2 & 2 together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was working in town for my dad and had to deliver stuff to your dad during my lunch break, he'd take me for mee rebus. =)

    ReplyDelete