Sunday, August 9, 2009

Birthdays

I attended a birthday party on Friday night. Birthdays always get me thinking, especially when one gets older. I don't dread it when the yearly milestone comes-a-knocking, but I've been rather less enthusiastic about celebrating the occasion the past few years. The usual dinners with friends are commonplace but I've yet to experience the kind of excitement that once was part of my birthday celebrations. Perhaps next year. Anyways, enough about me.

The party 2 nights ago was clearly an enjoyable one though for the birthday boy. The smile says it all I believe. Couple that with a great-looking outfit and a huge dash of charisma, such zest rubs off on party guests to a certain extent. It takes a lot of work to make everyone feel welcome, relaxed and part of the party, and for the birthday boy to have to do that instead of the other way round considering it is his special day after all, speaks volumes of the value of the invite. I always maintain that friendships need to be cultivated when newly formed and nurtured along the way, and a birthday bash is definitely an occasion not to be missed.

I came away from the party with renewed hope. That so many of Alex's friends turned up to celebrate with him; that Alex played the part of a perfect host with aplomb. In a sense, the occasion was a true testament of the bonds of friendship that can be fostered, when the necessary effort is taken. Perhaps I'll take that enthusiasm with me till my own birthday next year!


Photo of cupcakes by A Slice Of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment