Saturday, August 29, 2009

Trying To Be Green

No one reminds me more of being kind to the environment than my cousin San. He is the poster-boy of the 'green movement' in the family. I don't normally engage in a conversation with San on the issues of conservation, pollution, animal rights and the like, as I am guilty of many sins. I do however pay attention to what he says in passing from time to time, take note and consider the circumstances. And in most instances, what he says makes sense.

I have a long way to go when it comes to 'being green' but I suppose some of my cultivated habits are positive signs that I am heading in the right direction. When staying at a hotel, I do not leave the air-condition running when I leave the room for the day; I re-use towels instead of getting them replenished and I use the same sheets throughout my stay. I decline plastic bags if I am able to carry my purchases in my hands or in my messenger bag. I do not order shark's fin soup when I am hosting a dinner but I am a respectful guest and will not complain if my host orders the dish.

On a lighter note, I am also appreciating the little things that we sometimes take for granted. A beautiful sunset, a clear cerulean sky, breaking waves, mist over a tropical rainforest in the early hours of the morning ... you get my drift.


Photo of a tiny, tiny orchid shot at Mount Kinabalu National Park, Sabah.

2 comments: