Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hair Crisis

After a few notably serious recent posts, thought I'd be a bit lighthearted this time round. I'm facing a small crisis, a hair crisis that is. You see, my hairstylist of the past few years, Shane, has scooted off to Australia in search of greener pastures. I used to pay Shane a visit at his salon, just a few roads away from my office in Desa Sri Hartamas once a month, plonk myself down on a chair and let him work his magic. I try to practise what I preach. As an editor, I have my viewpoint; as a designer, I have my aesthetic; and I always prefer that advertisers and clients allow me my creative freedom. Similarly, I believe in giving creative-types a freehand when I employ their services. My standard greeting to Shane - 'Do whatever you want with my hair'. My only criteria is that it not be too unorthodox so as to get me into trouble with security at RTM and not too expensive so as to burn a big hole in my pocket.

With Shane gone, I am in search of a new hairstylist. My modus operandi - just walk into a relatively swanky-looking (yes, I am shallow at times) yet affordable salon, ask for an artistic director or senior stylist, preferably the former rather than the latter (hmm, this makes me sound rather elitist), deliver my 'Do whatever you want with my hair' speech, and hope for the best. Tried 1 last month, OK but not so great. Tried another tonight, better than the last. Will see what comments my hair elicits before deciding whether to stick to number 2 or proceed to potential hairstylist number 3.

One thing is for sure, if you ever see me in a cap like what violinist-extraordinaire Dennis is wearing (not that there is anything wrong with Dennis' hair), you will know that my giving a freehand to a potential hairstylist has gone terribly wrong haha!


Photo of Dennis of Mosaic Music Entertainment and I shot at Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur.

9 comments:

  1. my dearest Kris Bro,
    whats your budget for your haircut?
    Let me introduce some good ones to you whom you can use the line:" Do whatever you want to my hair"
    That doesnt applies to ANY hairdressers okay!

    HAHA

    Cheers,
    Dennis Lau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Dennis. I think I know who you have first in line. The one who is in some society events photos with you! We talk when we next meet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boss, its extremely brave to walk into an unknown salon (not even recommended) and give them a free hand. I would never ever do that.

    Why not grow out your hair? Yes I know you have natural curls, so what? Straighten it. Then at least you'll look really different. Plus am sure a lot of folks working in RTM sport long hair anyway...

    In any event, when you find a good stylist, let me know ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps Dennis has had one too many bad hair days too, hence the cap *husshh..* hahaa :P

    Check out Poise Perfection at Casa Tropicana. Ask for Brandon. Not bad, really. Was first recommended by Lee Kuen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna - that's half the fun.

    Natasha - I think Lyn of My Bridal Florist also mentioned that place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this Shane person, where is his shop in Sydney?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's on holiday at the moment, getting inspiration and weighing options.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know a great stylist. Have been going to him for 13 years now. Saved my hair from a disaster and that was the beginning of our relationship. Works from beautiful n gorgeously decorated home so may not jive with your "swanky" requirement. So far everyone else I've sent over to him has stayed on.

    ReplyDelete