Sunday, August 16, 2009

Eco-Tourism Convert

Most of my friends would know that lazing by the beach doing nothing is my kind of holiday. And they would also know that I am not one who fancies trekking in the forest, camping or anything that is devoid of creature comforts that much. About the only adventure-type activity that I enjoy is white-water rafting, probably because I have an affinity to water. Well, my friends and I are heading off to Kiulu tomorrow for a bout of rafting and it's something that I have been looking forward to this whole trip.

I surprised myself somewhat today by thoroughly enjoying the treks we did at Mount Kinabalu National Park. Some of the lookout points were great photo opportunities and we had a good time preening and posing for the cameras, totally in touristic fashion. Surprising was the fact that I took interest in the flora and fauna, listening to the rangers where normally I would just wander off rather than paying attention to the knowledge being imparted. I have some beautiful photos as evidence!

I suppose one gets inspired and fascinated when surrounded by such beauty. My previous trips to Sabah have always been centred around Kota Kinabalu and its many beach resorts. Today was a departure from the norm. I tagged along, as 'majority wins' when traveling in a group. I have my friends to thank for perhaps initiating the eco-tourism convert in me.


Photo of Ken Lin, Elsie, Yean Mun and I shot at Mount Kinabalu National Park, Sabah.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you learnt something new and enjoyed yourself by being open to new experiences. Something I should do more - letting go, not being such a control freak. Maybe my next holiday I'll just see what happens by not planning. ;-) Go with the flow eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline ... what did Forrest Gump say about a box of chocolates? haha!

    ReplyDelete