Thursday, August 13, 2009

Boarding School

I seem to be doing good in making it a point to keep in touch with those I went to school with. Ching, Ken Bin, David and I attended Immanuel College in Adelaide, the latter 3 of us as boarding students in Year 12. I have always been in contact with the guys; I was even bestman at Ken Bin's wedding more than 10 years ago whilst David and I meet for coffee whenever our schedules permit. Come to think of it, I was also bestman at Ken Bin's brother, Ken Lin's wedding ... but I digress. As for Ching, I haven't seen her in a few years although we've been in touch on and off.

As luck would have it, plus a little bit of effort on all our parts, we all made it to dinner last night at Ken Bin's recently opened cafe, The Olive Tree. Theoretically, it shouldn't really be that difficult for us to meet, since we all live about 10 to 15 minutes' drive from each other. However, it's the complacency that gets in the way at times. Not last night though, and we had a blast musing over some of the fond memories of our days at Immanuel - morning wake-up calls, trips to the city on Friday afternoons, the dinner and dance (OMG ... some of the photos in Facebook; 'nuff said!), the Vegemite incident (does this ring a bell Paul Jericho, Tom Brown?), and many others.

Those were carefree days and don't we sometimes wish we could re-live some of those treasured moments? For me, the happy memories are meant to be cherished and laughed over from time to time. They are the foundations of our happy state-of-mind. What we should always strive to do really, is to harness the happy thoughts and channel them towards creating similar days ahead.


Photo (from L to R) of Ching, Ken Bin, yours truly and David at The Olive Tree, Petaling Jaya.

5 comments:

  1. u are very right Kris on all points in this blog. those were indeed happy and carefree moments that is to be cherished and laugh over when we recall them.

    we should do this more often and not be complacent. so when's the next gathering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next gathering? You and Ching work it out and let me know hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20th Aug @ Olive Tree .... hahahaha = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20th Aug, 5 - 7pm @ Olive Tree ..... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one David! I hope I can get off work on time!

    ReplyDelete