Saturday, October 3, 2009

Escapism

I like to stay at small boutique hotels when I travel. More often than not, they have character. Some are weather-worn, some have been refurbished and re-designed with a new, contemporary aesthetic while others have retained their original features despite having gone through a bit of sprucing up.

Travel magazines such as Travel & Leisure South East Asia and Destinasian as well as my trusty Lonely Planet guides are references from which I choose which property to stay at. Good reviews aside, I also place my decision on price and location. A relatively affordable and centrally-located hotel normally gets my vote. When I arrive, I revel in the good, overlook the lacklustre, kick back and chill.

Just thinking about such a possibility is a nice form of escapism.


Photo of room at Villa Langka in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment