Thursday, October 8, 2009

Prayers

I have a reputation of being long-winded when praying at temples. Just ask my travel companions and most of them will tell you so. When on travels, I make it a point to stop by a temple if there is one in the vicinity. I also forewarn those traveling with me for the first time that it will take quite awhile; those who know of this trait of mine just wander off and have a look-see until I am done. I try not to take too long but I guess when one is praying, one has to be sincere. I also have a lot to ask for!

I don’t face such time constraints when in KL. I normally visit Thean Hou Temple on my own, and I am often done in half an hour. Wesak Day and Chinese New Year are exceptions. The throngs of crowd aside, there is much to pray for and many deities to pray to. The sense of spirituality amongst the worshippers gives rise to a sense of hope and well-being.

Incidentally, I also see no harm praying at any other house of worship. I have no qualms stepping into a church, mosque or Hindu temple to offer a silent prayer when the opportunity presents itself. I believe in the universal faith.


Photo of the Silver Pagoda in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

1 comment: