Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Affirmative Traits

A friend recently remarked, 'you seem pretty sentimental nowadays'. Truth is, I have been sentimental most of my adult life. Over the past year, situations have been such that I've also been labeled the following - 'sensitive', 'petty', 'a stickler', and, I know it is a contradiction, 'easy-going'.

There is some truth in all of the above. But I always view such labels in a positive manner. Sentimental - yes, I reminisce often about good times past, I value relationships that have been forged. Sensitive - yes, I am sensitive to other people's needs, I am naturally observant and I pick up on others' likes, dislikes and idiosyncrasies. Petty - yes, I do not tolerate back-stabbers, and if I am the victim, I will hold a grudge, a lengthy grudge, but those loyal to me know full well that I am fiercely loyal in return. A stickler - yes, I am organised and I pay attention to detail. Easy-going? Surprisingly, I can be when I want to, particularly among those whom I am comfortable with.

I see all these as affirmative traits. Those who label me otherwise must certainly be those who have rubbed me the wrong way. An industry colleague and good friend told me not too long ago that she can easily tell from my demeanour if a person is in my good books. Again, that's probably true. I am not perfect, nevertheless, I do not suffer fools gladly when it comes to friendships, relationships and business dealings. Life is too short for that.


Photo of my cousins whom I share many fond childhood memories with.

No comments:

Post a Comment