Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pop Culture

OK, I have to admit I had no intention of watching Twilight until the huge buzz that came about prior to the release of New Moon. When a movie creates such a frenzy worldwide, it's time to take notice. I equate it to pop culture. Just like Star Wars, The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter, The Twilight Saga is a must see for me, not because I am a fan, but rather a need to have 'been there, done that'. Believe it or not, all these movies will at some point become representations of a time - our time, the time that we lived in.

So, I got the DVD of Twilight off my sister and sat through the movie. I'm no movie critic, I don't overthink the plot, I don't scrutinise the acting, basically, I just want to enjoy the movie, it's as simple as that. I seldom have anything bad to say about the movies I watch. For all intent and purposes, movies are entertainment, and I treat them as such. I therefore enjoyed Twilight, as many people have. In the same way that I went through its predecessors - Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia; Frodo and The Fellowship Of The Ring; Harry, Hermione and Ron - it was a natural progression to move onto New Moon, which I did last night. I went with an open mind, and left with an entertained mind.

I would say this though, The Twilight Saga is for romantics. Behind the trials and tribulations, the sappiness, the longing, the angst, lies a notion of love that all romantics hope to experience in their lifetime. I have not read the books, but I will see the future instalments, and I sure hope that there will be a good ending. For me, that's what makes great entertainment. A perfect ending that leaves one in a contented state-of-mind.


Image of New Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment