Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Orang Utan

I was watching the National Geographic Channel. To be perfectly honest, I don't normally watch this particular channel. The only reason for doing so earlier this evening was to catch 'Among The Great Apes With Michelle Yeoh'. There has been quite a lot of press about this documentary of late and I always try to watch when it involves Michelle Yeoh ...... something about the 'Malaysia Boleh' spirit; yes, yes, I've been presenting the news for too long on RTM Radio! Ha!Ha!

I've been to Kota Kinabalu quite a few times but always end up in the city, the beach at Tuaran, Kiulu, the outlying islands and Kinabalu National Park. Have never been to Sepilok despite there being the world-famous Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary. My good friends will tell you that I am not an animal-enthusiast but I did learn a thing or two from the documentary.

Firstly, one must have a true calling and passion to be a vet, ranger, research assistant and the like for a cause such as the orang utan sanctuary at Sepilok. Secondly, we often overlook how beautiful our country is in terms of landscapes, as evident in the breathtaking locations that were featured. Thirdly, we seldom get to hear about the good work carried out by those trying to make a difference. I definitely have a better appreciation now.


Photo taken from Sabah Tourism.

No comments:

Post a Comment