Friday, December 11, 2009

French

I was at the Prince Hotel & Residence Kuala Lumpur Wedding Fair Media Preview the other night. As always, the team at Prince put on a good show with great food and fab company.

Among the participating vendors was a Frenchman, Daas Salim. Keen to get introduced to the local wedding practitioners, he made his rounds from table to table, making it a point to address us in halting but nevertheless pretty good English. Later that evening, I reciprocated in halting and struggling French. I haven't had much opportunity to practise since returning home from Switzerland in the 1990s but some verbs and grammar remain. I understand when spoken to and I can carry on a conversation if I concentrate hard enough. I was slightly amused by such an achievement that night.

'Knowing a foreign language is an asset' holds true in this case. It could just be the catalyst for me to pick up some of my old French school books and have a refresher. And perhaps when I next meet this new acquaintance and potential industry colleague, I will be able to carry on a conversation somewhat more fluently.


Photo of Alan Yun, Daas Salim and I at Prince Hotel & Residence Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment